Standards for Small Producer Organizations
The Faitrade Standard for Small Producer Organizations applies to small-scale producers that supply Fairtrade products:
Principles underlying this standard
These principles, which underly the Standard, apply to all small-scale producers certified by Fairtrade.
- Members must be small-scale producers. The majority of the members of the organization must be smallholders who don’t depend on hired workers all the time, but run their farm mainly by using their own and their family’s labour.
- Democracy. Profits should be equally distributed among the producers. All members have a voice and vote in the decision-making process of the organization.
Download Standard for Small Producer Organizations
For information on the changes made since the previous version, see:
Supplemental documents to this standard
These documents will guide producers with the implementation of the Fairtrade development plan.
Product standards for small producer organizations
Additional Standards apply to small producer organizations supplying particular products. Part of the standards also applies to the companies that trade with them.
You can download these standards below.
Coffee / Café / Café / Café
The content of this standard was reviewed in April 2011. For information on the changes, please see the following main changes document.
Guidance documents on productivity and quality improvement, and on price risk management strategies are available on the following webpage: http://www.fairtrade.net/coffee.html.
Fresh Fruit (including banana and wine grapes) / Fruta Fresca (incluyendo bananos y uvas de vino) / Fruits frais (incl. bananes et raisins pour le vin) / Fruta Fresca
Fairtrade Fresh Fruit are all varieties of fresh fruit for which Fairtrade Prices exist. This includes:
- citrus fruits: oranges, tangerines, mandarines, clementines, satsumas, lemons, limes and grapefruits
- ‘oranges for juice’ (sold to be exported to a consumer country and then processed into juice in that country)
- “deciduous fruits”: apples, pears, apricots, peaches, cherries, nectarines, plums
- wine grapes
Premium reporting template for banana
Oilseeds and Oleaginous fruit / Semillas y frutos oleaginosos / Graines et fruits oléagineux
Fairtrade oilseeds and oleaginous fruits include coconuts, olives and olive oil, soya beans, natural white sesame seed and shea tree nuts which are defined as dried and roasted shea kernels processed into shea butter.
Note: for coconuts worldwide (except Oceania): secondary products of coconuts include the water, the husk and the shell and derivatives of these products.
Prepared and Preserved Fruit and Vegetables / Frutas y Verduras Preparadas y Conservadas / Les Fruits et les Légumes Preparés et Conservés
This Standard includes all types of dried fruit, fruit juices and dried vegetables for which Fairtrade Prices exist. For traders, it also includes fruits which have been processed in the supply chain that were originally certified under the Fresh Fruit Standard.
Secondary Products / Productos Secundarios
Secondary products and their derivatives have been included in the scope of Fairtrade certification. For further information on the definition, pricing rules and non-exhaustive list of secondary products and their derivatives please see the Explanatory Note for Secondary Products.
Find Fairtrade Minimum Prices and Premiums