Information and training
Fairtrade International has developed a number of training modules for farmers and workers in Fairtrade certified organizations and their partners to support compliance with Fairtrade Standards and achieving development impact in their communities.
Internal Control Systems (ICS) for Small Producer Organizations
This training manual is for organizations of small-scale producers that want to develop and implement an Internal Control Systems (ICS) to meet the related requirement in the environmental portion of the Fairtrade Standard for Small Producer Organizations.
The training guide has been developed in cooperation with an environmental expert. It consists of the following elements:
- General Guidance chapter
- Master Planner
- Master implementation plan with proposal of useful formats and tools.
- List of ICS consultants and resources
You can also download the following annexes:
- Annex 1: Storage and inventory record
- Annex 2: Regional map
- Annex 3: Producer member map
- Annex 4: Producer agreement
- Annex 5: Processing record
- Annex 6: Member list
- Annex 7: Materials inventory and use record
- Annex 8: Master planning timeline and calendar
- Annex 9: Individual farmer- internal inspection control points checklist
- Annex 10: Individual farmer - internal inspection GES checklist
- Annex 11: Harvest and delivery record
- Annex 12: Field description and history
- Annex 13: Education and training record
- Annex 14: Corrective action agreement
- Annex 15: Community map
- Annex 16: Whole organization internal inspection checklist
Fairtrade Premium Committees - Hired Labour Organizations
Premium Committees are groups of workers and management representatives organized to administer the Fairtrade Premium on behalf of the workforce, as specified in the Fairtrade Standards for Hired Labour. Previously, the Fairtrade Premium Committee was known by the term ‘Joint Body’.
The four training manuals below are practical working tools and reference documents for Premium Committee members and their supporters. They are based on practical experience in working with the Premium Committee approach.
This manual introduces topics such as legal body, constitution, rules and regulations, internal audit committee and delegates model.
This manual introduces planning, monitoring and evaluation, meetings, communication, and internal organization. It has an annex:
This manual covers key aspects of financial management, such as financial planning, accounting and bookkeeping, financial reporting, financial procedures, financial control and auditing. It has five annexes.
- Annex 1: Budgeting
- Annex 2: Debit and credit
- Annex 3: Chart of accounts
- Annex 4: Forms
- Annex 5: Cash flow report form
This training manual provides guidance on developing projects that benefit the workforce and the community. It considers questions such as:
- How can Fairtrade Premium funds be spent?
- How can projects be chosen?
- How to develop a project proposal?
- How to implement monitor and evaluate a project?
Find Fairtrade Minimum Prices and Premiums